Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Best Apple Crisp

We had new neighbors move in over the holidays, so to say hello, I made this last night to take over. It seemed fitting; warm and cozy in the midst of this cold snap we've been having.
And I looove how my house smells with Apple Crisp in the oven!!

  • About 6 medium apples, pared, peeled and sliced thinly.
  • 1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup oatmeal
  • 3/4 butter, softened

Toss sliced apples with 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and 1/4 tsp of nutmeg.
Spread into a lightly greased 13x9 baking dish.
In a small bowl, combine remaining brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg with flour and oatmeal. Add butter and mix until it's a crumbly consistency. Sprinkle over apples.
Bake at 375* for about 30 minutes until the apples are tender and the topping is golden.

>I love the topping on this and I never think it's enough, so I actually use the six apples and mix with them what's called for, but then in making the topping I double it by half... so instead of 1 cup of brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, I'm using 1 1/2 cups, and so on.

No comments: