Pages

Friday, December 19, 2008

Breakfast Cake

(recipe found here)

I don't have enough good things to say about this yummy breakfast treat.
It's the ultimate comfort breakfast food, and thankfully, a healthy filling way to start your day as well. Or for a snack or dessert or whatever!

I'll just get right to the recipe:
(I made this first thing this morning and my house still smells oh so good!)

Breakfast Cake

1 cup butter, melted and cooled
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups whole rolled oats
3/4 cup honey
2 eggs
1 t. sea salt
1 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla
1 cup raisins, chocolate chips or other dried fruit

Stir together butter, buttermilk, flour and oats in a glass bowl. Cover with a cloth and allow the grains to soak on your counter overnight or for at least 8 hours. (I just did it before bed and let it sit overnight.)

Stir in honey, eggs, salt, baking soda and vanilla. Fold in raisins, chocolate chips or dried fruit. Pour into a buttered 9×9 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

****

Be warned, after you let the grain mixture sit on your counter, it will be STIFF. Um, I actually broke my wooden spoon trying to stir in the honey and eggs. It does soften up quickly once you get it moving, but just an fyi... maybe use a metal spoon!

I'm not a fan of raisins or dried cranberries, but I did want to add something. I ended up dumping in some Cherry Chips I had leftover from holiday baking. They were perfect! Just a little extra sweetness, just a little fruity, just a little holiday color for us leading into this upcoming Christmas week!

This cake is really so good. Don't you wish you had some?...

No comments: