Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

No-Cook Pizza









I found this recipe after looking high and low for another no-cook main dish that wasn't all veggies and wraps hoping maybe my kids would eat it.


Cold Ham Sandwich Pizza
  • 1/2 cup cream cheese with chives, softened
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 Tbsp. horseradish sauce
  • 1 prepared Boboli® pizza crust
  • 1-1/2 cups chopped cooked ham
  • 1-1/2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
  • 1/4 cup creamy Italian salad dressing
In small bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, and horseradish sauce and blend well. Spread over the pizza crust. Top with ham, plum tomatoes, and lettuce and drizzle with salad dressing. Cut into wedges and serve immediately. (6 servings)

I tweaked it a just a tad to fit what we had in our kitchen:
I used regular cream cheese and mixed it with the mayo and a little shot of dijon mustard since we're not a horseradish family.
I chopped up the deli ham I had, rather than cubed cooked ham, and made up my own pizza crust; I already had the oven on in the early morning making some quick breakfast bars, so I mixed up a Jiffy pizza crust (adding some garlic parmesan seasoning to the dough since I was going to be working with plain cream cheese) and popped it in the oven while it was on. Then I just left it out on the counter to cool and rest until we topped it cold at dinnertime.

Sawyer helped me spread the cheese mixture and sprinkle on the lettuce, tomatoes and ham. We threw some corn on the cob on the stove for a few minutes (so it wasn't a completely no-cook meal) and dinner was served.






























I had hoped Sawyer would be more likely to try it since he helped me make it; but notsomuch. He basically picked off a little ham off of his piece and called it good. Savannah did better, but didn't finish it. Ryan said he liked it but didn't seem blown away by it or anything. He did eat two pieces though...

I, on the other hand, loved this pizza! I was so nice and cool and refreshing. The cream cheese "sauce" was perfect and the fresh toppings were nice and light. I will definitely be coming back to this idea throughout the summer. I may pick up a Boboli or two to have on hand... or it would be really good on some focaccia bread or something similar.
Yum!!

2 comments:

Mom said...

I like the idea of no cook pizza.I'm pretty sure I'd like it,and you could change it up to suit your mood!XOX

anne said...

I just posted a recipe for gazpacho, another great no-cook summer meal idea!
http://ifshesaidso.wordpress.com/2009/06/24/gazpacho/