Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Creamy Oatmeal with Apples

We (minus Sawyer) really like oatmeal around here.
As long as it's got a little flavor to it.

I like this version because it's done in the crock pot and I don't have to stand over a stove for the time it takes to cook the whole grain steel cut oats we like. I can just dump it all in and an hour or two later a warm, hearty, creamy, steamy breakfast (or snow day lunch) is ready for me.





Creamy Apple Oatmeal
2 cups oats
4 cups milk
4 tbsp (1/3 cup) brown sugar
2 tbsp vanilla
1 large chopped apple

Combine everything in crock pot and cook on high for 1.5 to 2 hours or low for 3-4 hours to desired consistency.
I top with a sprinkle of cinnamon in my bowl.
YUM!



Gong Show note: Sawyer picks around the oats and eats all the apples and Savannah picks around the apples eating just the oats.
Of course.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Those two kids are funny. Maybe if you cut the apples even smaller they would soften up enough so that they would just become part of the oatmeal. I would also throw in raisins. And at my house walnuts and pecans. YUMMMM!