Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

oatmeal cookies




We bribed the kids with bakery cookies during our grocery trip this past weekend, and Sawyer had an Oatmeal Raisin cookie that he devoured in what seemed to be in an instant. It's been awhile since I've turned out a batch of oatmeal cookies, and since I've been having this unusual cookie craving lately, I decided to make some, thinking at least it would be better for my "diet" than chocolate chip or some other completely indulgent fare.




We made them last evening with dinner so they were nice and warm after our meal. I actually didn't have any last night (figuring there'd be plenty of time for me to submit to temptation later in the week), but Ryan raved about them. I treated the kids and let them each have one with their yogurt for snack this morning, and after I took a nibble off of Sawyer's cookie, I immediately returned to the cookie jar for one of my own. I don't normally care much for Oatmeal Cookies, and I must say these are so good! So I just had to share this yummy recipe...

It's a slightly (keyword: slightly) healthier, more flavorful version of the traditional Quaker Oats cookie.
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 cups oatmeal
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon (yes, a whole tablespoon!!)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp softened butter
  • 1/2-2/3 cup raisins
I baked these at 350* for about 12 minutes and ended up with just short of 3 dozen cookies. They came out so perfectly slightly crispy on the outside and soft and melt in your mouth on the inside. Reminds me of a muffin top!

No comments: