Pages

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Barbecue Chicken Pizza

I've been wanting to make this up for awhile now. My sister-in-law had a great recipe for a barbecue chicken pizza and even though I'm not a fan of barbecue, I don't love chicken, and I usually avoid "gourmet" pizzas and prefer plain old tomato sauce, cheese and pepperoni... she made us this pizza often and we really liked it.
I've searched online for her recipe, knowing basically what was in it, but I never found THE one. I'm hesitant to try any other one for fear that I just won't like it as much. And you know how when you have a craving for just the right thing?
Last time I checked, she couldn't find her recipe, but she did rattle off the ingredients to me. So I decided to finally give it a go. It turned out pretty decent and it's soooo easy, I had to share it here.

Here's what I did:
We grilled chicken breasts the other night, so I had Ryan grill up a couple of extra to save for the pizza. Two big breasts were plenty for us.
I shredded the chicken and stirred it into about 1 cup of barbecue sauce. You can obviously use whatever kind is your favorite; I used Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Barbecue Sauce.
Then I mixed up the pizza crust (I have a really good pizza crust recipe I should post here sometime, but last night I was lazy and just used two boxes of Jiffy), baked just the crust for a few minutes, and then spread a thin layer of more bbq sauce over the crust as you would the tomato sauce.Next over the bbq sauce, I sprinkled just a bit of mozzarella cheese. Then I spread out the bbq chicken, sprinkled with red onions, covered with more cheese and topped with some chopped parsley and basil.That's it.
My SIL's recipe also called for cilantro and peppercinis, but I didn't have those on hand so I winged it. You can really, as with any pizza, put on whatever you think sounds good.
I baked (according to the pizza crust directions) for 18 minutes at 425* and our yummy pizza was ready to slice up and eat.

Ryan and I really liked it (though it's not quite as yummy as I remember yours Holly!), Sawyer had a few bites (and I think actually liked it, if it weren't for wanting to get down and follow his big sister), and as usual Savannah turned up her nose at it.
It's so easy, and yummy, I'm sure I'll be serving this up more often!

No comments: