Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips

This is also an old recipe I used to run to all the time... it's great for bbq's, parties, showers, etc or just to have on hand for a snack at home! It's an easy to make tasty fruit salsa with even easier homemade cinnamon tortilla chips.
I don't remember where I first got this recipe, online somewhere I'm sure. I use whatever fruits and preserves I have on hand, it's one of those that's great to throw together a different combination every time. Here are my typical ingredients:

2 kiwis, peeled and diced
1 golden delicious apple, peeled, cored and diced
1 (8 oz) package of raspberries
1/2-1lb strawberries, diced
1 nectarine, pitted, peeled and diced
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp brown sugar
3-4 tbsp fruit preserves, any flavor (I usually mix both apricot and strawberry)

Simply mix the fruits, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.
This amount fills (heaping) my 1 quart pyrex bowl, which is plenty for a get together of about a dozen people.

For the cinnamon chips all you need is
10 (10inch) flour tortillas
butter flavored cooking spray
2 cups cinnamon sugar

Coat one side of each flour tortilla with butter flavored cooking spray. Cut into wedges ( use a pizza cutter) and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle wedges with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Spray again with cooking spray.
Bake in preheated 350* oven for 8-10 minutes.
Allow to cool about 15 minutes.
Serve with chilled fruit mixture.

I've made this twice in the past week to make up for my years of neglecting this great party appetizer... once for a bbq with our church and once for our game night last weekend. It was devoured at both.
Also, we made pancakes for brunch following our game night and Ryan came up with the great idea of using the fruit mixture as a compote over the pancakes... YUM!!

No comments: